Charity events are part of life at OLCHS. We are proud of the contribution that pupils make to a wide range of events that are organised at year group and the whole school level. Over £10,000 has been distributed to a range of causes since 2006. It is arguably of equal importance that our pupils have learnt first-hand about the objectives of a range of causes. This exposure for some will act as a catalyst for lifelong support of a particular cause. We welcome representatives from a range of charities each year to contribute to the PSE programme and to attend different events that are organised. Our hope is that, through their exposure to a range of activities and causes, our pupils will develop a sense of the type and scale of need that exists in modern life.
OLCHS Charity Committee
The Committee usually meets on a fortnightly basis, although this can increase/decrease depending on the events being planned. The Committee organise and staff the fundraising events, manage volunteers, count the money raised and arrange for the relevant correspondence and cheques for the charities to be despatched.
The Charity Committee tries to fulfil the following objectives:
- To encourage pupils to think of others
- To raise as much money as possible for worthwhile causes and increase awareness of charitable organisations
- To provide opportunities for decision making and event management
- To give pupils the chance to see an idea through from conception to delivery
- To help achieve a collaborative approach to fundraising
- To provide a valuable bond between pupils of all ages in the school through fundraising initiatives
- To provide links with the local community through fundraising efforts