Gatsby Benchmark Eight: Personal Guidance
“Personal guidance can support young people to develop their personal effectiveness, career readiness and better educational outcomes.”
(Personal Guidance: What Works – The Careers & Enterprise Company)
- All of our students in Year 11 are provided with at least one personal guidance interview whilst key study and career choices are being made. In addition, commencing in the spring term, selected students in Year 10 are offered a precursory guidance interview. This may include those with additional needs, those seeking apprenticeships and those who attend a vocational course away from school.
- Our careers adviser (Paula Wroe) is a Level 6 professionally qualified adviser and provides impartial advice that is tailored to the individual needs of each student.
- Each careers interview helps students identify the best possible learning, training and employment opportunities by assessing their abilities, interests and achievements.
- Each student receives an action plan document detailing the important next steps to achieving their career ambition.
- To supplement the personal guidance interviews, all of our students have access to a careers related drop in service that is available every Wednesday break time, lunch time and after school.
- Our careers advisor works alongside our Year 9 pupils as part of their options process that begins in January each year.
- All of our careers guidance is underpinned by the Matrix Standards Award, the national requirement to deliver careers services.
Click here to view a case study of how our guidance interviews have an impact on our pupils’ futures.