Gatsby Benchmark Six: Experiences of Workplaces
“Every pupil should have first-hand experiences of the workplace through work visits, work shadowing and/or work experience to help their exploration of career opportunities, and expand their networks.”
(Good Career Guidance-The Gatsby Foundation)
- All of our Year 10 pupils take part in one week of meaningful, rewarding and safe work experience during the spring term.
- Work experience is very valuable in gaining real experience of the work place, how different businesses operate as well as developing skills and confidence.
- All of our Y10 pupils use the online tool ‘MAPS’ where they complete their personal ‘Student Log Book’. This helps them to prepare and plan for their work experience, record their experience day by day and evaluate it afterwards.
- All of our pupils will receive a work visit from a member of staff where we can evaluate their progress, address any concerns and receive valuable feedback form the employer.
- Our pupils can then use ‘MAPS’ to request a reference from the employer. This is especially valuable for when they progress to college, an apprenticeship.