Health and Social Care
Key Stage 4 Curriculum
BTEC Level 1/Level 2 Tech Award in Health & Social Care
Pupils will study the BTEC Tech Award in Health & Social Care which is the equivalent to 1 GCSE within 120 Guided Learning Hours (GLH).
It is actively encouraged that you complete your work experience within the Health and Social Care Sector.
The 3 components for the BTEC Tech Award in Health & Social Care are:
Component 1 – Human Lifespan Development – Internal Assessment
30% of total course
- You will explore how individuals develop physically, emotionally, socially and intellectually over time.
- You will investigate how various factors, events and choices impact individuals’ growth and development.
- You will discover how people adapt to life events and cope with making changes.
Component 2 – Health and Social Care Services & Values – Internal Assessment
30% of total course
- You will learn which H&SC services are available.
- You will Identify why people might need to use these services.
- You will discover who is involved in providing these services.
- You will explore what might stop people from accessing the services they need.
- You will look at the care values the sector has, to make sure people get care and protection they need.
Component 3 – Health & Wellbeing – External Assessment
40% of total course
- You will learn what ‘being healthy’ means to different people.
- You will explore the different factors that might influence health and well-being.
- You will identify key health factors and how to interpret them.
- You will assess an individual’s health using what you have learnt.
- You will create a health and wellbeing improvement plan for that person, which includes targets and recommendations of support services available.
- You will reflect on the potential challenges the person may face when putting the plan into action.
Pupils will take the external examination in the February of Year 11, giving them an opportunity to re take the exam in June of Year 11 if needed.